Academic Research Professional
Both coursework and research completed in a specific discipline; thesis or dissertation typically required. Especially important for work in academia and consulting fields.

  • Master of Arts (M.A.)
  • Master of Science (M.S.)
  • Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Heavily focused on research and thesis required to complete degree. Generally needed to obtain professional position in research field.

  • Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.)
  • Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Might include practicum or require professional experience. Thesis not generally a completion requirement. Licensing test offered at completion of some programme.

  • Medical Doctor (M.D.)
  • Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.)
  • Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.)
  • Master of Education (M. Ed.)
Slide 1 Slide 3
Copyright © 2011 Academic Advising Office, The Registry, HKU. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.